Search

Apr 15, 2024

The Nifting Pole

 "And when all was ready, I  go into the island. up around the island coast   The Royal Lion, tied up into meek silence, I carry as a commoner's sack.

To the rocky point that looks inward to the mainland I go 

I take in my hands my Nifting Pole. 

Then I  hold the  Lion and behead Him.  I  drop  his body and impale His  golden head  on the pole.  

I point the Lion's Head to Norway, dark land beyond dawn. 

Then, in a solemn form of  cursing, I speak: 

'Here I have setup a curse-pole, and this curse I turn on  Crown Prince HRH Haakon Magnus and Prince HH Sverre of the Royal House of Glücksburg - including the sins of their father His Royal Highness, as follows:  

* That Norwegians one and all lose interest in  exploiting this Penobscot Bay  and its Penobscot River.

* That your subjects all as one abandon this continent,

* That your subjects return to Norway and   despoil  and degrade your kingdom's  wildwaters  as their wasting places. until you understand their threat outside outside your  kingdom and bar them.

*That  every harm their  subjects have already  wreaked on democracy in Maine, corrupting  ever corruptible Maine  democratic and indepedent government officials  is visited by them upon your Kingdom of Norway at their return  

 [I exempt  from this curse His Majesty Harald V, Queen Sonja and the other women and children of His family ]

Here I turn the Royal Lion's head  landwards.

This curse I turn also on the king's emissaries who attack this Penobscot Bay -  shielded shamefully as Nordic Aquafarms:  

*That they one and all - even Erik Heim surnamed Falsetongue too  - even though he fled far north to our river's source, he too will  lose interest in  these American bays and rivers   and indeed abandon the Gulf of  Maine and the north american continent

* That your capitalist pirate war bands  will instead plunder and lay waste  crumbling Russia at your  doorstep, 

*That they cease  promoting  their  sickening practice of  tanks-imprisoned fishes! Mighty schools of  proud salmon - in chains!   Sunless all their lives,

*That their desire and your permissions to slake  their desires-  to wreak  havoc on Maine's biggest bay -  vanish from their hearts and minds  just as winter seasmoke vanishes against risen sun

*That they not reach or find their home till they  themselves have driven out all other warbands of subjects of the  Royal Family from  this  land

The Lion's head  I have turned inwards to the mainland; On the pole I cut these runes naming the Curse

This I have spoken. 

Now I plant the pole  in a rift of the rock, and let it stand there until time takes it down." 

The Penobscot BayWatch Chronicle 

No comments:

Post a Comment