Learn below about the life and times of this very vulnerable stage of our atlantic cod.
Nearshore Habitats: Sanctuary for Juvenile Cod 2008/24-06 DFO
"In its first few months as a juvenile cod, the survival rate increases by 17,000 times if the the cod settles into an eelgrass bed."
* Transport of Cod Eggs and larva on coastal currents UNH
* Proposal for a Habitat Area of Particular Concern for Juvenile Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua) in the Nearshore Waters of the Gulf of Maine Prepared by New England Fishery Management Council's Essential Fish Habitat Technical Team (Excerpted from the 1999 Habitat Annual Review Report)
Specific Dynamic Action, Growth and Development in Larval Atlantic Cod, Gadus Morhua Jessica A. Geubtner 12-1-2003
Larval cod eat softbodied protozoans until their jaws develop. Learn about this little known part of the Penobscot Bay's foodweb:the microbes
* The Protozooplankton–Ichthyoplankton Trophic Link: An Overlooked Aspect of Aquatic Food Webs 2010 DAVID J. S. MONTAGNES, a JOHN F. DOWER b and GISELA M. FIGUEIREDO c
* Ichthyoplankon amoebas (google search)
* J Eukaryot Microbiol. 2010 May-Jun;57(3):223-8. Epub 2010 Apr 7. The protozooplankton-ichthyoplankton trophic link: an overlooked aspect of aquatic food webs. Montagnes DJ, Dower JF, Figueiredo GM. Source School of Biological Sciences, University of Liverpool, Liverpool L69 7ZB, United Kingdom. email@example.com
* The abundance of marine naked amoebae in the water column of the Clyde estuary Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science (February 1992), 34 (2), pg. 187-196 Andrew Rogerson; Johanna Laybourn-Parry